Join us for a unique and challenging adventure.
This offshore sailing adventure is available for charter! Imagine the excitement when you sail offshore to Galicia with us aboard Makara. Join us in Ireland and get familiar with the boat and crew for a day or two before we head offshore.
Even if you’ve never sailed overnight before, so long as you’re not prone to seasickness you can do this. These are a few of the benefits and some of the skills you will improve upon.
- Envision taking the helm for a night watch, guiding Makara through the ocean under a sky full of stars from one horizon to the other.
- Help us fine-tune the boat’s heading and trim the sails to make the most comfortable path through the sea.
- Practice adjusting our course to reduce the ETA.
- Learn how to use winches, make knots and otherwise be an “able-bodied seaman.” Earn USCG or RYA seatime if you want it.
- Get into a rythm of the crew’s schedule and accomplish your goals in a safe and educational manner.
- Fly back home to share your experiences or continue with us all the way to the Azores.
Galicia is an autonomous community of Spain. It is located in the Northwest Iberian Peninsula just below the Bay of Biscay. The distance from Crosshaven, Ireland to Porto Deportivo Vilanova de Arousa in Galicia, is approximately 600 nautical miles. Makara travels comfortably at about 6 knots under sail, which is about 144 nautical miles per day. Therefore, this journey will take about 4 days to complete. Don’t worry, we have all of the latest electronics, safety equipment, two satellite phones, a diesel generator for air conditioning and a water maker to keep up to 6 passengers comfortable and happy all day and night. Also, devices will be available to keep in touch with friends and family via text, facebook and an embedded map here on our website.
Lindsay will have most of the food prepared before we go to sea so we will have delicious meals without having to spend a lot of time in the galley. You will be expected to help keep watch at the helm and take turns serving simple meals for the other crew members. There will be a set rotation of crew members so that you will be able to get your rest and leisure time just like everyone else.
Please see our calendar for the dates in August of 2018 when we plan to be crossing from Crosshaven, Ireland to Spain. There are three safe marinas where we will have a choice to leave the boat while we visit friends in Santiago de Compostela.
The cost of offshore journeys between locations are the same as our advertised “Sleep Aboard Only” rates.
Contact us to get started by asking questions before making a reservation.